Industry and local government leaders are preparing for COVID-19 impact, bracing for the potential spread in our community.
Project995.org is providing resource connections to access N95 and PPE masks for health care providers.
Protective gear may be hard to buy or expensive at this time. To participate in collective ordering and resourcing, please fill out the form below.
This is not an materials ordering form
Submit this form so we can help you find a resource. Thanks!
Hospitals and Emergency Response
- Masks (N95 CE FDA approved virus protection, surgical masks 3 ply)
- Source masks and help distribute to care workers
- Find manufacturers that can convert existing production to masks
- Help document types and certifications of masks
- Care workers should use certified masks, but backup uncertified protection is a good fallback option
- Gowns (protecting disposable gowns for care workers, flexible on specs)
- Source gowns and help distribute to care workers
- Hand gels
- Bulk alcohol based sanitizers for lobbies and workrooms
- Cleaning supplies
- Buckets, mops, other ancillary cleaning material
- Safe, hot meals
- No touch thermometers
- CPAP, BIPAP, and respiratory equipment
- Instructions and protocols for using patient’s own CPAP and BIPAP home equipment, modifications to make them work for ER purposes including adding oxygen intake
This is an evolving crisis, and existing supply chains should be used when possible. Many existing supply chains have red tape or bureaucratic processes that can be easily sidestepped to expedite materials.
It is important to remember that American industry will take on this problem and resolve supply chain bottlenecks quickly, however during an outbreak days and weeks can become life and death delays for many of our citizens.
How to source materials
Many of these products are available direct from factories or through resellers that are one degree of separation with existing relationships. Though typical retailers work with respected, certified sources we can order directly from factories and one-off middlemen that are willing to provide deeply discounted material as well as rapid delivery.
- ProjectN95 is a source connection service for N95 and PPE masks
- Global Resources international product ordering
- DH Gate is a resource for smaller orders
- Alibaba is the biggest direct from China ordering platform
When sourcing, a few terms are important. The purpose of a vendor relationship is that they deal with you on your level of expertise and comfort. They deliver, answer questions, and support you during your ordering process. Manufacturers and many direct dealers do not serve buyers at that level, and even things like guaranteed deliver can not be assumed.
Shipping and seller terms to know
- EXW means the product is ready on their doc or their location, and that you are required to make shipping or pick up arrangements and it is important to understand the seller doesn’t assume responsibility for the legality of export
- FOB means the product is ready for shipping, and the buyer covers shipping costs even though the seller arranges to handle export regulations
- MOQ means minimum order quantity, or how many you need to order in order to engage the seller
There are dozens of shipping terms, but these are the most common you will find. It’s important to make clear arrangements and understand your risks. Often, complex regulations and excise taxes are laid on goods sold overseas. It’s simplest and fastest to order from a broker than already has goods warehoused in your country, though there is a cost associated with that convenience.
There are tax consequences to direct import. During times like this, those are probably not costs you need to address immediately. Keep in mind, many medical imports have excise tax and some most have sales tax due at some point. Expect at least a 10% duty or sales tax to be due at some point.